Pluto pups are something we didn’t have very often when I was growing up, they were reserved for special occasions like when we went to the show. These days they are a regular item in all takeaway stores. Pluto pups are very popular but they are also very expensive, why not make your own and enjoy them with your family at home, while they’re still hot and at their best. All they need is a bit of salt and glug of tomato sauce and you’re good to go. I like to use cocktail frankfurts because it’s easier for the kids to eat them, but you can definitely do a combination of full size and cocktail frankfurts.
This recipe makes a lot of batter, you could use the remaining batter to make potato scallops, battered savs, or even beer battered chips.
For more fakeaway recipes, please see my fakeaways post here.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 1 x 375 ml bottle of beer
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 – 12 cocktail frankfurts
- 8 – 12 skewers
- oil for frying
- tomato sauce
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Combine the beer, flour and salt in a bowl and mix until it forms a smooth batter.
- Insert a skewer into each of the frankfurts.
- Dip the skewered frankfurt into the batter, ensuring they are well coated. Tap off the excess.
- In batches, fry the battered frankfurts for approximately 5 minutes, until the batter is puffed and golden.
- Drain on paper towel, sprinkle with some salt and serve with plenty of tomato sauce.