Do you have a bacon lover in your family? If so, then this bacon jam is the perfect addition to most meals. Put it on a burger, or in the ultimate toasted cheese sandwich, it’s great with cheese and crackers or fresh bread. Everyone knows bacon and eggs are a great match, why not smear some jam on your toast before popping an egg on top? There are so many uses that you’ll be making this recipe time and time again.
This recipe can be a bit spicy for some people, you can reduce or omit the spices if you’d prefer.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Makes: 1 – 1 1/2 cups
- 450g bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Cook the bacon till crispy, I like to use a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Transfer the bacon to a plate but leave 1 tablespoon of bacon oil in your saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onions in the remaining bacon oil until they have caramelised.
- Stir in the garlic, sugar, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, spices and cooked bacon.
- Simmer the mixture until the liquid has reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Optional – I used a stick blender to blend the jam, leaving chunks of bacon visible.
- Transfer to a sanitised jar, allow to cool. Best used immediately but can be stored in the fridge for up to a month.