This vanilla magic cake is magic because you mix everything together, bake it and end up with a wonderful 3 layer cake. The bottom layer is dense, somewhere between a cake and a custard. The middle layer is a delicious custard layer and the top layer is a light and airy cake layer. 3 different layers in one cake without even trying has to be magic!!
It may seem a bit involved the first time you make it, but it’s so easy that after your first attempt you’ll breeze through the steps.
Now, magic doesn’t happen immediately so you need to allow this cake to come to room temperature and then at least another 4 hours of refrigeration for it to be at it’s best. You can serve it cold or room temperature and I love my magic cake with a light sprinkling of fairy dust (icing sugar) on top to make it really special.
If your family prefers hot desserts you could try this chocolate self saucing pudding which is quick and easy to prepare.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50-55 minutes
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbs cold water
- 110 g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and water into your mixing bowl and mix for approx 5 minutes until the mixture is pale and creamy, and, the sugar has dissolved.
- While still mixing, drizzle in the butter until it is well incorporated.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix, scraping down the sides until well combined.
- Pour in the milk and the vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites into a mixing bowl and beat/whisk until the egg whites for stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Do not over mix, you want leave a nice fluffy clumps of egg white at the top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden, the edges are set and the centre is jiggly when you wobble the pan.
- Allow the cake to cool completely at room temperature before placing it in the fridge loosely covered with with glad wrap for 4-12 hours before serving.
- Cut into slices, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.