Is there anything better than a fresh, hot, crispy potato scallop? I love them but resent paying $1 for one scallop when they are so quick and easy to make at home for a fraction of the price. These are a definite family favourite when we are cooking fakeaway.
I love mine with a generous serve of salt and tomato sauce.
This batter recipe makes a lot, you could use the rest of it to make pluto pups, beer battered chips, or even battered savs.
For more fakeaway recipes, please see my fakeaways post here.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 1 x 375 ml bottle of beer
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes
- oil, for frying
- tomato sauce
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Peel the potatoes and slice lengthways, into slices that are approx 2 mm thick. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Combine the beer, flour and salt in a bowl and mix well until a smooth batter is formed.
- In batches, dip a slice of potato into the batter, shake off the excess and carefully place it into the hot oil.
- Cook for around 5 minutes until the batter is puffed and golden and the potato is cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel, then repeat until all the potato has been battered and fried.
- Serve with salt and tomato sauce.