Mum has been making this fruit cake for years and it just isn’t Christmas without it. You can use this recipe to make a large fruit cake, or to make mini fruitcakes.
I have great memories of eating the mixture straight from the saucepan whenever mum was making her fruit cakes. YUM!
The great thing is that fruit cake doesn’t have to be reserved just for Christmas, you can eat it all year round.
If you’re looking for other Christmas treats to cook, why not check out my Christmas recipes here.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or marg
- 375g mixed fruit
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bi carb soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- walnuts (optional)
- blanched almonds and glace cherries to decorate
- Grease and line your baking tin. Preheat oven to 170C.
- Place the fruit, sugar, butter, water and bi-carb into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil gently for 5 mins then allow to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your baking tin and place decorations on top if desired. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. (if you are making mini fruit cakes you will need to shorten your baking time).