Tortillas are something that nearly every family buys, but not many people put the thought into “Is this something that is easily made from home for much less than I’m spending at the supermarket?”. Yes, buying tortillas at a supermarket is quicker, but if you are only going to the supermarket to buy the tortillas then you’re better off to make them from home. Once you see how easy it is I’m sure you’ll do it again and again. Get the family involved, and have someone roll the tortillas while you cook them.
If you’re looking for ideas for fillings, you could try my Mexican mince, Chilli Con Carne, Chicken Tortillas or Beef Tacos recipes.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 2 cups SR flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well until a dough forms.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes then leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough again for a further 3 minutes then divide it into 8 equal sized portions.
- Roll each portion of dough into a large circular tortilla.
- Heat a dry frypan over high heat, then place the tortillas, one at a time in the heated frypan for 1 minute each side until golden and brown spots start to appear. Remove from pan and keep warm while you continue with the remaining tortillas.