I love pumpkin soup, it’s easy to make, tastes great and it’s something I crave for lunch on a cool winters day. The standard pumpkin soup is yummy, but here is a recipe for the deluxe edition – after all, everything is better with bacon!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 kg jap or butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped coarsely
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 100 g bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 litre stock
- 1 tbs oil
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and bacon and fry for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin and stock, simmer for 20 minutes until the pumpkin has softened.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until it is smooth. Add the cream and mix until combined.
- Serve hot