Chilli con carne is a delicious, slightly spicy dish that you can use multiple ways. This recipe will allow you to eat the chilli con carne 3 different ways after you’ve prepared it, a burrito, a pizza and as healthy nachos.
Lentils are used in this recipe to bulk it out and stretch it further. They aren’t noticeable and unless you tell people they are in the meal, they won’t notice the difference.
75g of dried lentils makes 1 cup of prepared lentils. To prepare the lentils, soak over night in cold water.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 cups prepared lentils (75-150 g dry lentils soaked overnight)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400 g tins diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 x 400 g tins of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp oil
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and the mince and cook until the meat has browned and the onions have softened.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute before adding the remaining ingredients and mixing well. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes until sauce has reduced.
- Divide into portions. This chilli con carne is great frozen and reheated.