Bacon and egg stuffed mushrooms look pretty amazing on a plate and they are perfect for a Sunday (or any other day) breakfast, a light lunch or even dinner. Best of all, they’re really easy to make and you can easily change the fillings. If you’re feeling like something a bit spicier then add some chorizo and/or chilli. If you’d prefer a vegetarian option remove the bacon and add some baby spinach instead.
Another interesting egg meal you could try are cheesy baked eggs on toast. You won’t be disappointed with either!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 100 g bacon, diced
- 4 tsp sundried tomato pesto
- 80 g cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Gently twist the stalks off the mushrooms. If you are using smaller mushrooms, use a spoon to scrape the gills out of the mushrooms to make more room.
- Bake the mushrooms for 10 minutes until wilted. The mushrooms will have some liquid in them, you can drain it off when you remove the mushrooms from the oven.
- Carefully spread the pesto around the inside of the mushroom cup, sprinkle the bacon inside the mushroom cups.
- Crack an egg into each mushroom cup, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes (10 if you would like a runny egg, 15 if you prefer your eggs firmer).
- Serve immediately.